When the warmest months of the year are upon us, those long summer days bring even higher temperatures to our Sunshine State. Though years of living on this tropical peninsula may have acclimated its residents to such conditions, heat safety is applicable to even the most seasoned of Floridians. Being mindful of the heat index, UV index and what necessary precautions to take can make all the difference.
With offices located along Florida’s Treasure Coast, we at Aqua Home Care understand the importance of staying safe under the sun all year round and especially during times of extreme heat. Over-exposure to the sun can result in skin damage, exhaustion, heat stroke and other dangers. Caregivers we refer not only provide an array of in-home care services to meet their client’s everyday needs, but protect the well-being of those in their care from indoor and outdoor elements as well. When it comes to staying safe from the effects of heat, whether in the home or while out, a trusted caregiver can help by:
- Monitoring the thermostat and adjusting accordingly
- Applying sunscreen when exposed to the sun’s
- rays to avoid skin damage
- Ensuring attire is weather appropriate, including sunglasses or a sunhat if needed
- Being mindful of the signs of over-heating
- Offering reminders to drink more water to stay hydrated
- Moving to shaded areas when outdoors
- Taking breaks to cool down
- Moving indoors if necessary
Over exposure to the sun’s rays can lead to unpleasant and even dangerous side effects. Paying attention to the heat index and UV index can help you prepare for a day outdoors. We wish everyone in our community wonderful warmer days ahead as the seasons progress along with a friendly reminder to take necessary precautions when it comes to being out under the sun.